PMSA awards aspiring teachers with scholarship

The Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association (PMSA) is pleased to announce the five recipients of the Teacher Education Scholarships for 2024, Ben Pane, Chloe Merrett, Emily Dunbar, Isabella Pollard, and Tasmin Roberts.

The scholarship aids and encourages aspiring teachers from PMSA schools to promote the value of the teaching profession, foster Christian faith and values in schools, and support our future teachers.

Valued at $2,000 per year for up to four years, the scholarship is awarded to students who have shown engagement in Christian faith, contribution to their PMSA school, commendable academic performance and commitment to the education and development of young people.

Tasmin Roberts is a Sunshine Coast Grammar School graduate and is passionate about teaching and learning. Tasmin is pursuing a Bachelor of Secondary Education at the University of the Sunshine Coast.

“Primary school education has been my long-lived dream for the past few years, I can’t imagine myself doing anything else,” Tasmin said.

“I love teaching children new things and watching them progress; and by inspiring them at school to do their best I think it will help them grow up happy and healthy,” she said.

Emily Dunbar, Somerville House graduate, is pursuing a Bachelor of Primary Education at the Queensland University of Technology

“I have always wanted to be a Primary School Teacher and could not imagine doing anything else,” Emily said.

“I am dedicated to becoming a positive influence in students’ lives and inspiring and motivating the next generation to achieve their full potential through education,” she said.

2023 Sunshine Coast Grammar School graduate Chloe Merrett expressed a similar sentiment.

“During my time at Grammar, I was able to secure a traineeship and began to study a Certificate III in Early Childhood and Education,” Chloe said.

“Since I was young, I knew that teaching was something I wanted to do and my Certificate confirmed that for me,” she said.

Chloe has since accepted an early offer at the University of the Sunshine Coast for a Bachelor of Primary Education.

Ben Pane, who finished grade 12 at Brisbane Boys’ College (BBC) in 2023, is also a recipient of the Teacher Education Scholarship.

Ben is now enrolled in a Bachelor of Primary Education at the University of Queensland and shared how he aspires to return to the PMSA community in the future.

“I am looking forward to the challenge, and hope that one day I can come back to BBC as a teacher,” Ben said.

Isabella Pollard, the fifth recipient of the scholarship, was also a student at Somerville House for six years.

Isabella has now applied for a dual degree at the University of Queensland and credits her Somerville House teachers for motivating her to pursue this career path in education.

“I have wanted to teach for the last few years thanks to the inspiration of my senior school teachers,” Isabella said.

“I’ve applied to the University of Queensland’s Arts and Education dual degree and am hoping to teach high school students alongside film writing and directing in the future,” she said.

The PMSA congratulates all of our scholarship winners for 2024 and wish them all the best in their studies and future careers. The PMSA is proud to support the next generation of teachers who will uphold the values and vision of Christian education in PMSA schools and beyond.

Scroll to Top